Ilya Segalovich got a degree in Geophysics from the S. Ordzhonikidze Moscow Geologic Exploration Institute and took second place in the All Soviet Union Math Olympiad in 1981.
He began his career working on information retrieval technologies in 1990 at Arcadia, where he headed the company’s software team. He co-founded Yandex in 1993 and has been its Chief Technology Officer since 2000. He is also is one of the co-founders of Yandex N.V. and has acted as its Chief Technology Officer since 2000.
From 1993 to 2000, Segalovich led the retrieval systems department for CompTek International. He has helped create the National Corpus of Russian Language (Ruscorpora) and ROMIP, the Russian Information Retrieval Evaluation Seminar. He also co-founded and supports Maria’s Children Art Rehabilitation Center for orphans and children with special needs.
He lost his fight with cancer in 2013 in a London hospital. He was 48 years old.
- Why Russia
- In focus
- Doing IT business in Russia
- Who’s Who
- News & Events
- About us
- I’ve never been afraid of hiring people who are smarter than me.
- You can be ashamed of your mistakes, but you shouldn’t hide them.
- It’s hard to succeed if you are not being chased.
- If a person has a product and tells everyone about it–that’s one type of a story. But when he says that they don’t have a product, but they use SCRUM methodology–that’s a bad sign.